Friday, May 17, 2013

First Project Done - Only Laugh



Ok I have been writing for 38 days straight and have completed a draft of a single narrative.

"Only Laugh", clocked in at 59,119 words at an average of 1550 words per day.

What is it about? No idea, it just kind of gelled as it went along and I have no idea if I had anything to say, I just let the story form itself.

A lot of what is inside was based around something I wrote partially as a screenplay idea over 10 years ago where the basic premise started the same way but ended in a much darker place.

The more I got into this the more I wanted to write it differently than anything else I had done in the past. I had always focused heavily on dialogue to structure scenes, relationships and discovery and I felt that I could move away from that and work on prose.

A character, a protagonist who is himself very reliant on his ability to communicate is pushed further and further into territory outside his and our comfort zone and the things that he used to control his existence are stripped from him one by one and even his ability to speak and control his life is removed.

I started each day with where I left the last and rarely knew where the day would take me and just wrote what I thought should happen next, like a fairy tale or a fable without huge reality checks on how people think, feel or speak.

Most of the time that meant I had a plan for a new event or a few days worth of plotting and incidents at most.

I rewrote nothing and just let the story progress as naturally and as unaffected as possible.

A few times I was surprised by what I let happen and felt painted into a corner by my own process more than once.

I did not know that he was going back to be a hermit, live a very parable-esque existence back on the Kermadecs until about a half hour ago while I was writing it.

I'll do an edit and upload a single mobi or epub file with a cover at some point, but for now this is done.

Tomorrow a new novel.

Still no firm decision on what to write, I have an idea but when sitting down to start who knows what I'll actually do.

If i get to the end of the year and have ten or so books at this rate written this way, then it will be a fascinating year and maybe I can avoid therapy sessions and just send the inner workings of my sub conscious in to be reviewed (and have the appropriate drugs prescribed accordingly).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave any comments about the project - but be aware I won't be taking suggestions, requests or feedback on the content or style of writing - I want to write what I want free of any one else's issues.