Saturday, April 12, 2014

THE END - And I'm done ... for now

The End


365 Days of writing and I feel pretty good about most of it, but not all of it.

It's a good discipline to have and while some days have ben amazingly creative and easy some days were hard and painful.

Ultimately I have never had problems with ideas, I still have a dozen more rattling around that I must write some day and unlike before when I never got around to it, this time I hope I will do more than just make it 'one day'.

I hate editing and I love just dumping the content out so editing and redrafting may take some effort but it doesn't thrill me at all so we'll see about that.

I loved writing Darwin's Game, definitely the best experience for me as a writer. I hated rewriting the novel I first wrote in Tuscany as a new draft, I look back at it and hate it anew.

I also managed to write a trilogy without realising it.

Repeat Offenders, Babel and Untitled Zombie Story are all based on science going horribly wrong because of people being stupider than their intellect allows them to be.

Each one of those stories has a technology that usurps the intention and brings dire and drastic consequences from the stupidity, selfishness or lack of foresight in the creator. It's the story of the people affected by the advancement's side effects that interested me. It was not until about 50,000 words into the third one I realised I had written in a pattern like that.

Fascinating because I knew very little about where the stories were going.

Except Darwin's Game which was planned in my head a decade ago and drafted poorly with huge pieces missing. Same too for Only Laugh, but the initial draft and guideline only took me to maybe one third of the final novel and then it became a new thing and I discovered where it was going every single day.

I like not knowing where it was going to go, even in Darwin's Game there was an element of that. I did not know who the winner was going to be for a long time and I decided who was going to die as I was writing each episode. The broad story was known but the path there was a discovery.

All of them will require work to cover the continuity I am sure but still.

620,500 words across 365 days.

Fuck Publishing, Editing and how things 'should' be done.

I am a fucking writer when I actually write.

Which I did, a lot of.

:)

W

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave any comments about the project - but be aware I won't be taking suggestions, requests or feedback on the content or style of writing - I want to write what I want free of any one else's issues.