Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Day 99 - Darwin's Game - Chapter 48 (2152 words)

©Wayne Webb and constantwriting.blogspot.com, 2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Wayne Webb and constantwriting.blogspot.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

DARWIN'S GAME

By Wayne Webb

CHAPTER 48


“Moral or Immoral it doesn't matter.”

“How can you say that? That it does matter is the very definition of morality.”

“It does not affect the outcome, you can trot out your pithy soundbites from your holier than thou pulpit, but it won't make a difference to the game. It'll only make a difference to you.”

“And if I do nothing? What's that saying 'all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing?'”

“Okay, first. You? Good? Not even. And B, do nothing, do something, do anything it's irrelevant. Your righteous anger is just serving to increase your blood pressure and nothing else.”

“So you're saying that we should all stop fighting it and give in? Take the cowards way out? I won't be able to live with myself, and I'm surprised that you could either. I'm not angry, I’m just disappointed in you.”

“I'm sure I can live with your disappointment in me, it's your approval of me that would keep me up nights worrying where I went wrong.”


“Who did you vote for?”

“I voted for both. I went on to two different websites on two different days from two different computers and voted for Simpson on the first day and Vargas on the second.”

“How does that make any sense?”

“How does any of this make any sense?”

“Yeah, good point. Did you choose Simpson and just change your mind, or was there some other thing you had in mind?”

“Well I didn't want to not vote, that seemed wrong to condemn them by not getting involved, it was … opting out just felt wrong. But all in all I can't choose between them to decide who dies, and I think that loads of people are splitting their votes.”

“But voting twice has the same net effect as not voting at all!”

“No it doesn't. It's massively different.”

“How? How is it massively different?”

“Because I voted, is that not obvious? You can see the difference, in one I vote and the other I do not.”

“But you moron, it has the same effect!”

“No it doesn't.”

“Yes, yes it does! It's a zero sum, a no-win, a Kobayashi Maru if you will.”

“A Kobayashi Maru? Really? You go Star Trek to prove your point?”

“You like that?”

“Idiot.”

“Well maybe, but I understand that it....”

“No, you don't understand. It's not about winning or losing, it's not about Vargas or Simpson. It's about me. It's about being able to Play the Game not have the Game Play me.”

“Clear as mud, though it sounds very Zen .”

“If I don't vote, it's me telling myself I don't care and I don't count, but if I play the Game the way it's set up then I still have the guilt of participating, not knowing the outcome it'd be like taking a 50/50 bet on the winner or loser. I have a one in two chance of feeling guilty or feeling better than the majority because I backed the right person. Now that, that is a sad proposition. If I opt out then I am avoiding responsibility as a Human Being. If I vote for one over the other I am condemning a man to death, whether I win or lose that vote I have chosen to ask for a man to die. If I don't chose and then just take a punt, randomly, then I am gambling with another human being's life. If I vote for both? Then what I am doing condemns no one, helps me be better with having to engage in the Game, and on my terms. What I am doing is betting, on the outside chance that enough people will reach that decision and vote with me, on both men and refuse to choose.”

“That won't happen, people are voting, people are choosing. You credit 'people' with thought processes they are not capable of.”

“Maybe, but how can we hope for an outside chance to happen unless we actually HOPE that it will?”

“That's very naive.”

“Thanks.”


“What would you do if it was someone you knew?”

“It's not though is it.”

“But each of these guys right, each of these guys yeah, they have you know like families and friends and shit too. They ain't like you know, characters in a movie or nothing, they're people.”

“They're fucking scumbags is what they are. Let them die.”
“Who's that guy that you, you know that guy who...?”

“Leroy? You mean the car guy?”

“Yeah, yeah the car guy Leroy, that's the one yeah. What if it was Leroy?”


“Leroy didn't … oh wait yeah he kinda did didn't he? But he's not a … these guys are evil fuckers, they deserve the shit they go through.”

“I bet that that girls mother, I bet she, she would not be unhappy to see Leroy in the Game would she.”

“Well she wouldn't but he, he didn't mean to, it was an accident. He had been drinking, he can't really help himself when he's been drinking, that's different!”

“Yeah, and some of these guys, these evil fucking scumbags, I bet that their lawyers, their families and their friends all say similar things about them too.”

“Well maybe, maybe. No, I don't agree. Look at these pricks, look at them and tell me that they don't deserve it.”

“They don't deserve it.”

“Oh come on now you're just arguing with me for the sake of it, stop being such a douche-bag.”

“No I mean it. I can't help but look at these guys and I think about me. I could be on the next episode, I mean you and I both, we have both killed people.”

“That's our job. You can't prosecute soldiers for killing people. That's not fucking legal. No fucking way.”

“I know that, I also know that you can't just execute people for being a scumbag, not even being an evil scumbag, not even in Texas, there are laws. But these laws are nothing but a thing to Darwin are they? And are all your kills righteous?”

“Yes.”

“I … I don't know.”

“My kills are righteous because what we are doing is right.”

“And you think Darwin is right too? You just said you were ok, you'd pull the trigger yourself. But those aren't righteous kills, not at all. They are people, man people. Americans.”

“The wrong kind of people, man you need to harden the fuck up.”

“I can't believe anyone gave you a gun.”

“Fucking A they did.”



“Simpson is a bad boy, he's tough and he's kind of cute.”

“And Vargas is a drug dealer, and a cop killer.”

“Plus he's got funny eyes, have you noticed his eyes? They look kind of sad, that's not sexy.”

“I don't think that sexy is what most people are worried about.”

“Well if I have to vote I'm going to pick the one I like right.”

“Is that how it works?”

“You can't tell me how to vote, this is a democracy and I have the right to make my own choice the way I want to.”

“No I mean is that how it works, you vote for the person you want to live or the one you want to die?”

“I .. I don't know. Who should we ask? Text Becca, she's a braniac she'll know.”

“Ooh good idea, she'll totally know. Do you think we should ask her what she thinks, you know like who to vote for?”

“Eeeww no, she's going out with Dominic, what kind of taste is that? No way, nuh-uh.”



“I don't think either one should live.”

“You want them both to die?”

“Yes.”

“Dude that's cold.”

“So?”

“Well I … I mean we're kind of choosing who should live or die, and you don't think that this shit is fucked up?”

“They killed like so many people, they killed people to get where they are. Both of them.”

“Uh, Survival dude, heard of it?”

“None of these people should walk away. It's fucked up that they are even alive in the first place.”

“Dude that's dark.”

“They're all guilty, no one is denying it, no one is saying that they are not, they are a drain on the tax payers dollar.”

“A drain on the tax payer? What the fuck man? Who are you? What the hell have you done with my friend?”

“You … you don't... don't know. I don't want anyone to win. I wish they would all just die and it would be over, no more waiting, just let it be done.”

“Are you... crying? What the fuck dude?”

“Fuck off. Leave me alone.”



“What do you think will happen to the winner?”

“Dunno.”

“Well they will be famous right, where can they go that people won't know who they are and what they have done. Winning could still be losing. You know what I mean?”

“Wow. I had not thought of that. It's like the loser is the winner, that's so … trippy.”

“I know right? If you win, where do you go and where do you hide?”

“Back to prison I guess. Would they do that? How fair is that, you fight for your life and then go back to prison. And they would get him for killing the people in the game, I mean either one of them killed someone on the show right?”

“Yeah, that's... something to think about.”

“Wow, what would you do if you won?”

“I don't know, write a book maybe? Life on the inside of the Game, but I can't think what that must be like. Would this Darwin guy even want the winner to live? Would you let someone away that had seen you?”

“If he has seen him that is.”

“Yes, yes that's the thing. It would be cool to know all the stuff too. I'd totally get that book. I know winning could be a bad thing in one way, but also in another you'd be totes famous and uber rich, for reals and for life.”

“They have laws against that kind of thing though. You can't write a book and make money from it if it is proceeds from a crime or something. I read that somewhere. They did that with the guy who did his wife and did the book from jail.”

“Right I remember that. Can't make money, can't not go back to jail, can totally get prosecuted for new murders and man-slaughters or whatever they charge you with and never ever be free of it. That's some heavy stuff to lay on someone.”

“Especially after having to do all that stuff and like not die for however long this thing has gone on for.”

“Yeah, maybe winning is not what you want to do.”

“I know, so who did you vote for?”



“Whats the score?”

“The score?”

“On the voting, who is winning?”

“Uh as far as I know it's neck and neck, as soon as someone edges ahead it's like the next batch swaps it or settles it. There's a website somewhere, there's loads actually, trying to predict on some bullshit mathematical modeling thing. Who did you vote for?”

“I haven't voted yet and I won't until I know that my vote is going to count.”

“Of course your vote is going to count.”

“No, I mean that I don't want my vote to be wasted if the guy I chose is going to lose.”

“What are you on about? Of course your vote counts, they all do, that's how this works. Assuming it's not rigged in which case what ever is what ever yeah?”

“No I mean I don't want my vote to be wasted on a guy if he's only got like twenty percent of the vote and has not chance of winning.”

“Why?”

“Well I want to pick the right guy. I don't want to vote for the loser, that's a waste.”

“Do you think before you open your mouth?”

“Whatever, I think I'll wait until voting is closer to closing before I choose to give my vote to someone. I don't want MY vote to be wasted.”

“The fact that you have a say in this is already a waste.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave any comments about the project - but be aware I won't be taking suggestions, requests or feedback on the content or style of writing - I want to write what I want free of any one else's issues.